Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The "OMG MY LEGS, LUNGS & BUTT ARE ON FIRE!!!" Workout

Don't wimp out... put that belt at 15% grade!!
Fill your schedule with lots of things to do and you'll be productive most of the time. This is what I try to tell myself at least.

Like many triathletes, I try to keep lots of balls in the air. Work, kids, friends, family, training... it all takes time and energy.  I've found that the busier I am, the more I stay focused and get things done. The less I have to do, the more time it is that I waste and then wonder later on where it all went.  

So, today was one of those days where I had a million things to do and training was fairly low on the priority list, although still very important to me mentally as well as physically.   I just feel blah when I don't get the motor running a little bit most days of the month, don't you?  

After a quick and short ride, I did some of my stretch cord work (5 minutes of freestyle pulls, etc.) and then one of my favorite high intensity workouts on the treadmill.... 15-20 minutes worth of suffering. This workout will crank your heart rate and make you work muscles you never knew you had.  It's simple, tortuous and soooo effective. Try it, but only if you have an AED nearby! 


1. Set the treadmill incline at 15% grade and the speed at 3.5-4.0 mph or at a fairly comfortable pace. Walk uphill for .5 mile.
2. Raise the speed to 4.5 - 5.5 mph (Depending on your fitness) and start to 'jog' with short steps. Drive with your arms up the hill. Go for .5 miles.
3. Increase the speed to the top of your limits for .2 miles while still at 15% grade.  Hang in there and don't fall of the back! 
4. Decrease the grade to 6-8% and the speed to 3.5-4.0 mph and walk the final .3 miles as a cooldown.

Hop off and collapse.

The entire workout will take around 20 minutes and you cover a total of 1.5 miles. Not much for the hardcore endurance athlete, right. Wrong! Try this workout next time you're in need for a strong hit of intensity and you'll get it.  

Train smart,
Coach Troy
www.coachtroy.com

Coach Troy is the Official coach of IRONMAN and the head triathlon coach for Life Time Fitness.
Follow him on TWITTER or on FACEBOOK.

Disclaimer: This and all workouts should be done only after a complete physical exam by your personal physician.  If you get tired or sore from trying this routine, that's the intention... so stop your whining.

No comments:

Post a Comment